Boot Issue after FreeNAS 9.3 upgrade - run_interrupt_driven_hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsauter

Cadet
I've been using FreeNAS for 3-4 years at this point. Setup is as follows.

HP XW8600 with 32GB ECC, 2 x X5460 3.16 Quad Core

Dell Perc H305 reflashed to ITmode with 4 x Hitachi 3TB on one SAS Channel and 2 x 1TB SSD on another Channel

Integrated SAS2008 cabled to an external HP MSA70 with 25 x 72GB 10K

LSI SAS9200-16e cabled to 1 x Xyratex 16 Drive RS-1603-E3-EBD Enclosures on each of three channels. One SAS channel is unused. No enclosure daisy chaining. Total of 48 x 1TB Drives

This setup worked fine under the 9.2x versions of FreeNAS for close to one year; reboots periodically for various things never had an issue.

I just finished the upgrade to 9.3 a few weeks ago. Since then, when the machine is booting up (had power outage recently), it hangs for 20-30 minutes (before I give up) with the following message on the screen (after it has enumerated all sas/sata drives; arrays all flash as it locates the drives) I am booting FreeNAS from USB key. the machine has not brought up the ethernet intefaces while the following message is displayed.... totally dead hung boot process.

run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 120 seconds for enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 180 seconds for enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 240 seconds for enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 300 seconds for enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb enc_nop_confighook_cb
At this point, the only way to get the machine to boot, is to unplug all external disk enclosures, let it finish booting, hot plug them back in, and then manually import / mount pools

EDIT: After a little reading, this is function is called in scsi enclosure driver "scsi_enc.c". hmmm.

EDIT: I forgot to mentioned that both LSI cards are flashed to v16 firmware to match the driver level. Box is fully patched as of 3/3/15.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No clue how to help. Sounds almost like there's something "not quite right" about that HP XW8600 and LSI and FreeBSD 9.3. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. :/

Makioro

Cadet
Today had same problem
Problem was with capacitors (6.3V 1600 uF) on SAS controller. They was swollen. After replacing it with 10V 1800 uF (didn't have same) system started up as it should.
I don't recommend do like I've done, unless you understand what are you doing.
FreeBSD 10.1 release (not FreeNAS).
Sorry for my English.

Status
Not open for further replies.