Boot Environments - CLONE is not the same size as the original - ?

Boot Environments - CLONE is not the same size as the original - ?

In FreeNAS, when I go to System --> Boot and make a CLONE, is it normal for the Space ( size of the CLONE ) to not be the same size as the original I made the CLONE from ?

I noticed that CLONES were not the same size as the original the CLONE was generated from a few FreeNAS versions ago.
If I remember correctly, years ago on older FreeNAS versions , a CLONE was the same size as the original.

North Idaho Tom Jones

Attachments

• FreeNAS-Clone.png
    FreeNAS-Clone.png
    10 KB · Views: 158

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Clones are now ZFS snapshots, instead of duplicate partitions when GRUB was the bootloader in former times.

My post is not about making copies of data/information located on "Storage->-Pools".
My post is about making Clone copies in "System->-Boot" using the CLONE action to copy a Boot-Environment". -?- There is no "Snapshot" selection available anywhere in "Storage->-Pools". Take a look at the space section of the image I posted.

When I do a FreeNAS upgrade, the boot image size "Space" normally shows about 1 GiB , but a CLONE shows something much much smaller in size/Space. Is the CLONE action still working correctly , although the Space is much much smaller on a CLONE ?

Thank you
Tom Jones

Hmmm, or are you saying making a CLONE in "System->-Boot" is actually a ZFS snapshot and that is why it is smaller ?

Am I correct that on older versions of FreeNAS , that a CLONE in "System->-Boot" was the same size , but now on new versions a CLONE is smaller ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Hmmm, or are you saying making a CLONE in "System->-Boot" is actually a ZFS snapshot and that is why it is smaller ?

Am I correct that on older versions of FreeNAS , that a CLONE in "System->-Boot" was the same size , but now on new versions a CLONE is smaller ?

Yes, that's what I said, and confirmed by looking at the GUI code at /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/bootenv.py.

Samuel Tai , thanks for your prompt and informative post replies :)

FYI - I've been running a few dozen FreeNAS systems for a several years now. I've got some pretty big 500+ TB systems that are fast and with a few config tricks ( Delayed ACK & NFS no-sync & lots of RAM ) , it is pretty easy to hold a sustained Rsync transfer rate faster than 6-Gig ( sometimes 9+ Gig ) while the FreeNAS systems are sharing NFS file-systems to a dozen+ VMware ESXi systems.

FreeNAS totally rocks and has bullet proof reliability .

North Idaho Tom Jones