bhyve VM - Windows Server 2016 - VNC and RDP Hanging

onlineforums

Explorer
I'm testing Windows Server 2016 as a bhyve VM. Installation went smoothly. Got into Windows GUI fine and enabled RDP. I can now connect in via RDP or VNC.

I downloaded SQL Server 2019 and while it was downloading my RDP connection seemed to drop. I then tried to reconnect to no avail. I then tried connecting via VNC which worked, but the GUI seems unresponsive. The VNC shows the mouse move around but when I send CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the login menu it doesn't display.

Restarting the VM in FreeNAS GUI works and then I'm then able, again, to connect via VNC or RDP. But again, it ends up dropping when installing or downloading software.

Not sure where to begin how to diagnose this. Any help or suggestions?

Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are sour disk and your network interface configured as VirtIO? They should.

onlineforums

Explorer
Are sour disk and your network interface configured as VirtIO? They should.
I have NIC Adapter Type as Intel e82545 (e1000). Networking works.

When I changed adapter type to VirtIO then no network devices (although no driver found ethernet adapter found in Device Manager).

I'm looking into how to setup bridge in FreeNAS/BSD or if I need some VirtIO windows drivers.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to install Redhat's VirtIO network drivers for Windows. The Intel NIC emulation is known to hang occasionally. That's why I asked.

You can download ISO files with the drivers that you can configure as a CD-ROM in your VM's "Devices" settings from here:

nachobolanos

Cadet
Hi all.
I'd installed Win10 and SQLexpress in Bhyve and it's working fine, but can.t connect from a fisical local machine. i made test to ports 1433 and answer listening, ping to MACHINE-NAME, and telnet, all ok but my software can't connect to SqlExpress.

Anyone knows what's happening?