BUILD Basic NAS: CPU, Mobo, Power Consumption Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't worry, it will serve you well.

Fuganater

Patron
So here's the final part list, everthing is either already received or on order.
This was way more than I wanted to spend on a server and I'll probably have buyer's remorse for the next year but it'll probably offer me many good years of service.

CPU: Pentium G3450
Motherboard: SuperMicro X10SLM+-F (the X10SLL wasn't in stock anymore)
RAM: 1x8GB Crucial ECC 1.35v RAM
Boot Device: 2x Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB
Storage Drives: 2x WD Red 1TB in mirrored vdev
PSU: SeaSonic G-360 80 Gold
Case: Fractal Design Deine R4 (The Tesseract was just too cheaply made in the end and I got a good deal on the R4).

So in the end, yeah it is low capacity, but it is all quality components.

You should put in 16GB of RAM and get 2x 16GB Sandisk Fit. 32GB for the OS is WAY too big.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The 16GB of RAM are negotiable. If needed, the extra 8GB can easily be added later.
As for the boot devices, I don't really consider 32GB to be excessive. 16GB works fine for now, but more won't hurt.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So in the end, yeah it is low capacity, but it is all quality components.
And more importantly highly expandable to suit your needs if they should change. You did well in your hardware selection.

GreyKatana

Dabbler
You should put in 16GB of RAM and get 2x 16GB Sandisk Fit. 32GB for the OS is WAY too big.
The budget is so over-stretched right now that the 16GB will have to wait. I came really close to just dumping all server components and just going with cheap desktop stuff and cross fingers.

I could not find awesome deals in Canada like some of you guys in the US have on 2x 16GB Cruzer Fit for 10 bucks. It's more like 30$ for those. And the 2x 32GB Ultra were like 5$ more total than 2x 16GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.