Bad shim signature (TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1)

Dorin

Dabbler
Hi,

I just downloaded the ISO of TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1 and wanted to test few things with Proxmox. I have configured the VM as Q35 with OVMF (and EFI disk).

When booting the ISO and selecting the installation, I'm getting an error "bad shim signature" and pressing any key resulting in going back to the blue menu screen.

Is this a known issue?

Screenshot enclosed.

Attachments

• nas.png
    nas.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 378
Hey Dorin, I'm having the same exact issue. This issue has been discussed multiple times across the forums, but some of the answers to the question have been toxic or unhelpful. The best answer I've found so far is at [1] from Ericloewe. It would be nice to get this issue confirmed.

Regardless, disable secure boot in your BIOS and this will suddenly work. Until we get proper signing in place here (which I don't think has been in high demand yet) this issue will likely persist.

Hey Dorin, I'm having the same exact issue. This issue has been discussed multiple times across the forums, but some of the answers to the question have been toxic or unhelpful. The best answer I've found so far is at [1] from Ericloewe. It would be nice to get this issue confirmed.

Regardless, disable secure boot in your BIOS and this will suddenly work. Until we get proper signing in place here (which I don't think has been in high demand yet) this issue will likely persist.
[1] https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/understanding-secure-boot.107231/#post-740668

Yamon234

Dabbler

[1] https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/understanding-secure-boot.107231/#post-740668
Thank you!! Disabling Secure Boot fixed this for me

gtbarsi

Cadet
Hi,

I just downloaded the ISO of TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1 and wanted to test few things with Proxmox. I have configured the VM as Q35 with OVMF (and EFI disk).

When booting the ISO and selecting the installation, I'm getting an error "bad shim signature" and pressing any key resulting in going back to the blue menu screen.

Is this a known issue?

Screenshot enclosed.
I had the same problem and after a lot of digging and trying things that did not work I found one suggestion:
When you add the EFI storage disable Pre-Enroll keys. This is what is causing the error: bad shim signature.
It works, no need to manipulate secure boot.