Backup to Google Drive

ajschot

Patron
Hi all,

I wanted to get some help... i tried to backup my FreeNAS data pool to Google Drive.
I tried 3 ways:
1) RClone, i set it up from a manual here somewhere. Created a jail rclone, mounted the datasets in my data pool and then installed rclone.
So far everything went fine, only when i tried to setup rclone and i had problems with the authentication key. So i choosed 13 (Google Drive) did no advanced config and choose no by aut setup. Copied the link to my browser and gave rclone acces, copied the auth token and paste it in my shell (via ssh) from my rclone jail.
But it keeps on saying my auth key is not right. I know tried it like 20 times and gave up.
2) Installed duplicati plugin, all went fine, setup went fine, but after a while of backup it gives error on empty blocks anf files i had to delete my unfinished backup of 760Gb and had to start over again, but now getting all kinds off error already at 21Gb backed up. So stopped this and deleted everything and the jail because after the 10th try all my jails freezes and loosing connection and i had to restart freenas over and over again. So this is not working
3) Cloud sync, but i don't understant anything about how to get the 'Access Key ID' i tried to understant but i really have no idea... anybody knows a website obout thisor. a video with an easy explanation?

So the most slow an inefficient was is like i do it now with backup somethings to Jottacloud via my macOS vm in esxi and mount my Data poool via smb
It seems to look more and more the ony solution that is easy to setup and will work for sure.

ajschot

Patron
Sorry i missed the button showing up with Login to provider ;)

so i am going to give this a try, but iw ouldlove to hear ideas what you use?

elorimer

Contributor
Wow. With a 24TB data pool Google Drive is going to cost, what, $500 a month? Way out of my league.

I use CloudSync to backup down from OneDrive and Google Drive so I have a local backup copy. I assume MS and Google have far more sophisticated backups. That was easy to set up and works fine, and I don't make any further local backups of those datasets.

I use CloudSync to backup a few datasets to Backblaze because it is cheaper. Because my internet connection is 200/30, it takes a long time. I figure 24TB would take about 5 months for the original upload. I'm building a low level Freenas backup server that I'll upload locally, then drive to an undisclosed location and maintain further via CloudSync.

ajschot

Patron
Haha no not the whole 24TB, just small part but only woth testing it stopped very quick. I have some kmportant data on that 24tb that i don’t want to loose pictures of my family in raw and jpeg so if i can store jpeg somewhere that is one and lot less data snd same counts for recording, if i just dave the end projects that is enough... so not the whole 24tb but it is in a lot of datasets on that data pool and that makes it harder

danb35

Hall of Famer
With a 24TB data pool Google Drive is going to cost, what, $500 a month?
Business account. $10/mo, and anecdotally unlimited storage. Officially they don't give unlimited storage until you have five users, but that would still only be $50/mo.

elorimer

Contributor
The Gsuite route does look better than simple Google Drive storage, which looks to be $200/month for 20TB.

ajschot

Patron
I am on Gsuite ;)