Backup Strategy

dwchan69

Contributor
What are some of backup strategy exist within TrueNAS? Not sure at what granular level you can backup your data? It is only from pool to pool (As I have a pool that will be an external JBOD)? Or can you backup just dataset to dataset? Both cases I am asking about, if possible, is still local HD to local HD, is external tape drive (e.g. LTO) an option? Cloud sync to S3? Any insight would be appreciated

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @dwchan69,

Very good for you to think about backups before loosing everything. So many start planing their backup only after loosing it all...

For a complete plan, check my signature about the 3 copies rule.

Or can you backup just dataset to dataset?

You can sure replicate on a per-dataset basis and not only pool basis.

You can also do on a per-directory or per-file basis using tools like rsync or so many others.

is still local HD to local HD

You can do that using different technology. Be aware that such a copy will be On site, so will suffer the same physical incident as the main copy (ex: a fire). Here, that case correspond to my Offline server Thanatos.

is external tape drive (e.g. LTO) an option?

If you have the hardware and the tapes, you can sure put your data on it. That will be an offline copy and should you ship the tapes outside, it can also be offsite.

Cloud sync to S3?

To S3 or to many other cloud solution. That copy will be offsite and online. Good to have it sync at high frequency but can be subject to the same logical incident as copy No1. Here, it would corresponds to my Online DR server Hades.

Hope this help you and do not hesitate to ask more questions about backups. They are of critical importance and congrats for starting to plan for them before suffering a lost.

dwchan69

Contributor
Thank you so much for the speedy response. So is it possible to attach a LTO backup device directly to a TrueNAS server?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So is it possible to attach a LTO backup device directly to a TrueNAS server?
I would suggest you do a search on the forum. Many people have been successful in connecting a LTO drive directly to their FreeNAS and some of those people have even written scripts to automate the backup process for their environment and shared those scripts. While their plan may not be what you have in mind, you may be able to modify / improve on what they have done to make a solution for your situation. If you do, pleas share so it may help others in the future.

Here are a couple links to get you started: