Backup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alik

Dabbler
I have had my drive for over a year and have had 2 drives in it. Looking at the disks section I can see both drives have activity and my assumption has always been that the drives are mirroring so if something happens to one the other will kick in (which is what i want).

The question is, does everything get mirrored including my jails, as i have a few vm's running and am wondering about mirroring performance while the vm's are in use.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
You should post what your setup is, what way did you setup your drives? Mirror? If you have a single 2 disk mirror, then your Jails and VM storage will be on that mirror.

I don't understand your second question, could you re-phrase?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alik

Dabbler
Hi I just set it up using the wizard initially. I picked mirror at the time, so i think you answered the first thing.

Regarding the second, what i mean is that if the drive is continually backing up everything and i'm also doing things on my vm's does this not impact the performance in terms of memory/spu etc?

Eniqmatic

Explorer
Hi I just set it up using the wizard initially. I picked mirror at the time, so i think you answered the first thing.

Regarding the second, what i mean is that if the drive is continually backing up everything and i'm also doing things on my vm's does this not impact the performance in terms of memory/spu etc?
Its not "backing up" continually, when a write is requested it does this write to both of the disks at the same time. The data does not get written to one disk and then a while later is written to the other disk.

The performance will be as fast/slow as a single disk is, a little bit slower actually due to overheads, but probably not much.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Regarding the second, what i mean is that if the drive is continually backing up everything
Mirrors do not back up anything. The data is written to both drives, but it only protects against a drive failing. It is not a backup, because you can't get back old data that was mistakenly deleted.

But it is important to verify that you really have a mirror.

Alik

Dabbler
I appreciate your response as I did not know that was the case. So that answers the question. How do I verify just in case?

Status
Not open for further replies.