Backup freenas data to seperate non-freenas storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

semaj

Dabbler
What is the recommended way to backup files stored on freenas?

I have a separate windows fileserver that has enough room to backup the files from the freenas device.

I am currently running FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64 .

thank you

ProtoSD

MVP
There may be other suggestions, but I like rsync. It's built-in to FreeNAS, and you can do stuff in batches and it figures out what's been copied already and just copies the new stuff. Lots of features.

semaj

Dabbler
I have heard good things about rsync but i didnt see it in version 8.0-release of the software.

I will more than likely be copying to a raid that it shared out via a network share.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to upgrade to Beta-4. It has Rsync. The "Release" version is very old.

semaj

Dabbler
upgrade

Is the beta relatively stable? Can I upgrade while still preserving my data and config?

ProtoSD

MVP
You can still upgrade and preserve your data, but the standard warning about having a backup and unknown's involved in betas still applies. I think for most people the core features are stable enough that you should be ok.

semaj

Dabbler
upgrade

I upgraded via cd from 8.0 release to beta 4 and it works well without issue. I now see rSYNC and will start to tinker. thanks

jenksdrummer

Patron
You need to upgrade to Beta-4. It has Rsync. The "Release" version is very old.

RELEASE is only a month or so old. Sadly, in the beta series, there are more things broken that were "added"...

I decided I'd switch back to 7.x until 8.0.1-RELEASE comes out...may even wait until 8.1-RELEASE when uPnP is done.

Some of the best things about 7.x, don't exist in any of the 8.x series - for example, the file-manager...being able to create directories and manage permissions directly is GREAT...without having to visit the console or use SSH. For semi-n00b's like me, this is pretty valuable. UPS works. Smart reporting works. Overall it's very "polished", even if it is a bit rough around the edges when it comes to ZFS by comparison and doesn't have the "pretty" front-end GUI that 8.x does.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Release came out almost 2 months ago and since it had it's faults the betas started streaming out. To me if feels like the Release came out 6 months ago just because of all the activity with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.