Backing Up a Pool to Reconfigure to Raidz2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there.
I originally built my server with 3x3TB drives in Raidz1, before upgrading by adding another 3x3TB drives which unfortunately also had to be added in another raidZ1 to form a single pool. This obviously isn't ideal, so I'm now hoping to back up all the data in that single pool, to a large 8TB external drive (Which will sufficiently hold the 7TB I'm currently using). I then intend to wipe and reconfigure the 6x3TB drives in a single RaidZ2 pool which is a much better solution.

I believe what I'm asking for IS possible, but I just want to be 100% sure before I order the 8TB drive or attempt anything and potentially lose my data.
I want to be able to back it all up, exactly as it is, to the extgernal, reconfigure the pool, put all the data back exactly as it was and have everything back to the way it was. Including my jails functioning etc. Should this be possible?

Thanks in advance for the help!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sure is. Best bet is to use ZFS replication to send the data back and forth, though you'll probably need to use the CLI to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.