back end connection to vps.

spacecabbie

Explorer
I was wondering if its possible:
A truenas system hosted on a dynamic IP behind router.
Is it possible to use its storage on a Hosting VPS
situation:
Truenas -> Smartdwitch -> Openwrt Router <-internet -> Centos 8 VPS
WebDAV / VPN are the first to options that come to mind. But I have doubts about the performances.

It is posible ofcourse but what (if there is one) would be the recommended way to do this.
IF there is no recommended option then what to do VPN(ifso how to) or webdav

danb35

Hall of Famer
But I have doubts about the performances.
At best, performance will be limited by the speed of your Internet connection. My solution to this is to set up an OpenVPN server on my router (I'm using pfSense, but I believe OpenWRT also supports this), configure my CentOS VPS to connect to that as a client, and have it mount a NFS share on my TrueNAS box.

spacecabbie

Explorer
At best, performance will be limited by the speed of your Internet connection. My solution to this is to set up an OpenVPN server on my router (I'm using pfSense, but I believe OpenWRT also supports this), configure my CentOS VPS to connect to that as a client, and have it mount a NFS share on my TrueNAS box.
Thanks for the reply yes this what i keep getting back I had hoped to directly connect to freenas from the vps without vpn's I am not a fan of them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
this what i keep getting back
That's probably because it's the best solution for what you're trying to do. There's lots of ways to do VPNs, of course (and it's unfortunate that ZeroTier is no longer included in Free/TrueNAS), but one of them is going to be the only secure way I can think of to do it.