Assembling a NAS server system

carlmart

Dabbler
I am trying to build a personal video & audio network at home, and I was recommended FreeNAS Core as the best way to go.

The system should be based on a 5 x 8TB assembled, running in RAID 6. I already have the five 8TB HDDs, the PC with Asus micro ATX, with Intel CPU. Still have to buy the DIMM DD3 memory and the SATA PCI board to plug all the HDDs to.

I would like to have comments and recommendations on how to go with this assembly.

Thanks,

Carlos

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core doesn't support "RAID 6", though it does support RAIDZ2. It's also a bad idea to start with your list of hardware and then expect the NASware to work well on top of it. For example, many ASUS boards use Realtek ethernet chipsets, which don't really work that well. There is a nice hardware recommendations guide over in the Resources section that you should go and look at, and use as a guide to buying your hardware. Not all PC hardware is really up to the task.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

carlmart

Dabbler
Is there any advantage of RAIDZ2 over RAID 6?

No way will I follow the hardware listed. Maybe is better to switch the NAS program then.

The program should run on most boards and CPUs. not the contrary. On Linux, of course.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It would be interesting to understand why the person who recommended TrueNAS to you made this decision. If you want something Linux-based, TrueNAS is obviously an incompatible suggestion.

ccssid

Explorer
you could start out with what you have but add:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-...0-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162834659601

and

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45

Install FreeNAS/TrueNAS, and see how you like it. Granted, some of your components may be lacking in a few areas, but you could still utilize the above mentioned items regardless. RAIDZ2 would be a very good path to take. If you continue on with FreeNAS/TrueNAS you will get familiar with what components work better than others and why. Some of which may or may not pertain to what you intend to do with the information stored on your NAS

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No way will I follow the hardware listed.

Good luck to you, then.

The program should run on most boards and CPUs. not the contrary.

Your opinion is noted and filed in the appropriate place. It's like saying that you should be able to assemble a performance racecar from any random collection of car parts you so wish.

On Linux, of course.

Well, then you're really in the wrong place.

Well, then you're really in the wrong place.
Do a Google search for: linux nas

:wink:

You can't really blame people for perceiving FreeNAS / TrueNAS as a Linux-based NAS solution.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@carlmart, FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core is based on FreeBSD, not Linux. If you want a Linux NAS distribution, try OpenMediaVault or UnRAID. If what you’re after is OpenZFS, you can run your distro of choice, and manage ZFS from CLI.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
OR, install TrueNAS Scale and try, make your skill with that NAS based on Linux
try, it does not hurt
cheers