Asrock C2750D4I or SuperMicro MBD-A1SAi-2750F-O ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad1966

Dabbler
I'll be building a new FreeNAS server soon & as a result, I've been reading the forums a lot recently trying to make up my mind on what hardware I want. As far as the CPU, I think I've settled on the new Intel Atom C2750 instead on a low-end Xeon since I want low power/cool performance, but I'll also be running Plex on my FreeNAS server.

I originally thought I'd go with the Asrock C2750D4I, but I'm not crazy about the Marvel SATA ports, so I found a potentially better option (which would allow me to add a PCIe SATA controller). Servethehome seems pretty pleased with it:

http://www.servethehome.com/Server-detail/supermicro-a1sam-2750f-review-matx-avoton-2x-pcie-slots/

Which would you choose?

Also, do you have to pay for an IPMI license if you decide to go w/a SM board? How much is that?

Looks like price is about the same for both on NewEgg.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have you even searched here? You realize that no less than 3 people have asked about running plex on that exact CPU? Please use the search feature in the top right corner to find your answer. I promise you it IS there.

I've never had to pay for an IPMI license, and we aren't a Supermicro support forum. If you think you may need a license or something for some specific hardware, you should be asking Supermicro those questions.

Good luck!

vlad1966

Dabbler
Have you even searched here? You realize that no less than 3 people have asked about running plex on that exact CPU? Please use the search feature in the top right corner to find your answer. I promise you it IS there.

I've never had to pay for an IPMI license, and we aren't a Supermicro support forum. If you think you may need a license or something for some specific hardware, you should be asking Supermicro those questions.

Good luck!

My question wasn't geared so much as to whether the CPU would be good enough to run Plex, it was to get opions on the differences of the motherboards, and which one people would be more inclined to get. Thank you, I know where the search box is, and I know that this isn't a SuperMicro support forum. It is however, a general forum for FreeNas hardware. I figured as long as someone was going to reply on the SM mobo, they could also let me know about possibly needing a license for the IPMI on SM boards (I've never used IPMI) since quite a few people on this forum use SM boards. Thanks for the info about you never having to pay for an IPMI license.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My question wasn't geared so much as to whether the CPU would be good enough to run Plex, it was to get opions on the differences of the motherboards, and which one people would be more inclined to get. Thank you, I know where the search box is, and I know that this isn't a SuperMicro support forum. It is however, a general forum for FreeNas hardware. I figured as long as someone was going to reply on the SM mobo, they could also let me know about possibly needing a license for the IPMI on SM boards (I've never used IPMI) since quite a few people on this forum use SM boards. Thanks for the info about you never having to pay for an IPMI license.

Ok, so I could play hardball and say "the differences are freely available from the manufacturers of the hardware you intend to use. You gave no model number for the Supermicro, so I'm not sure what comparison I'm supposed to draw. But the short and sweet answer is that if the manufacturer's info isn't enough for you, then you either shouldn't be getting this involved or you should be contacting that manufacturer for more info.

The Asrock has been discussed here MANY MANY times, so I won't even discuss it further. That's why search is here. So you can enjoy the benefits of previous conversations without asking the same question that has been asked many times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.