SOLVED ASRock C2550d4i FUBAR

nathank1989

Contributor
ok so this was my first time using this board.
I installed it, and tried to boot only to have it stuck on "System initializing..."
I was, initially, able to access IPMI.
Here's were I Fd up.
I tried to do a firmware update. But the HTTP wasn't set up and asked me to upload a file. I canceled the process as I had no file to upload. After that I am completely locked out of IPMI.

I found a USB tool to reset it, but I can't boot to it because the system is stuck on initializing.

I first found out that the RAM I was using (2x4GB Crucial ballsistix DDr3 1600UDIMM 1.5V) was not compatibile. So I got 2x8gb crucial DDR3 1600 ECC UDIMM 1.35V, crucials website said this was compatible.

I tried reseating the RAM, no.
Only 1 stick, no
Removed CMOS, no

I cannot get past "system initializing" coming out of the boards VGA, I haven't even gotten a chance to install an OS so IPMItools is out of the question, booting to USB DOS is out of the question. Getting any info from IPMI is useless as I have no access (I can't login but I can access/ping/see the IPMI user interface)

What can I do? Should I get it RMA'd or is there anything I can do?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Doesn't the "system initializing" message come up after the board POST and the splash screen comes up allowing you to enter BIOS?

You should be able to enter BIOS and tell the board to not wait for BMC before booting (I forget the exact option off the top of my head).

nathank1989

Contributor
Doesn't the "system initializing" message come up after the board POST and the splash screen comes up allowing you to enter BIOS?

You should be able to enter BIOS and tell the board to not wait for BMC before booting (I forget the exact option off the top of my head).

I see no splash screen and no combination of Fkeys on System Initializing enters bios.
To be honest I'm not even sure USB is working because I get no lights on my keyboard (caps lock, num lock, etc.) plugged into MoBo USB and USB jumpers were left alone.

Last edited:

nathank1989

Contributor
Can try the steps mentioned here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/61395-asrock-rack-e3c226d2i-wont-post-after-bios-bmc-update.html

All the stuff I am hearing recently on ASRock would make me think twice about getting one of their boards... :oops:

First post I found on google and first thing I tried.

I am also waiting on a reply from "William" from ASRock America... But I'm really eager to finish the build asap as I've been waiting over two weeks for parts and replacements to get this f--ing thing working:mad:

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Well, I see your Goggle-Fu is up to par.. ;)

Every post I see about people contacting ASRock mentions this "William"... Lol, Is there only one person working their support or is everyone there named "William"?

Sorry you are having so much trouble, but on the bright side as least you're in the US:
Oh. And ASRock support. Not so good.

William did come back to me (although not until I posted here). He's been quite helpful, asked some good questions and has certainly given the impression that he wants to help. But because I don't live in the US, he can't arrange an RMA for me (although acknowledges that one is obviously required). He tells me that he has been emailing his colleagues in Taiwan, but they continue to ignore me (and him, evidently).

So you good folk located in the US appear to be well looked after.

The rest of us poor suckers appear to be of little interest to ASRock global support. A cautionary tale...?

nathank1989

Contributor
What's worse is I didn't start seeing all the bad things about this board and ASRock until after I started having these problems. I did some searching before I purchased was swayed by reviews I read. Like wtf.... And this isn't a personal build, it's for a client and now I look like the idiot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Be sure to disable the watchdog in the BIOS, as well as watchdogd in FreeNAS.

What's worse is I didn't start seeing all the bad things about this board and ASRock until after I started having these problems. I did some searching before I purchased was swayed by reviews I read. Like wtf.... And this isn't a personal build, it's for a client and now I look like the idiot.
I was surprised by this only recently. The SATA controllers have always been flaky, but this story throws a wrench into ASRock's credibility.

nathank1989

Contributor

I was surprised by this only recently. The SATA controllers have always been flaky, but this story throws a wrench into ASRock's credibility.
Why disable the watchdog? Just wondering?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To prevent it from happening again. It's disturbing how ASRock still hasn't issued a fix.

sremick

Patron
Every post I see about people contacting ASRock mentions this "William"... Lol, Is there only one person working their support or is everyone there named "William"?

I just checked... the one time I needed tech support from ASRock, I got helped by...."William".

That said, he was very helpful and worked with me to get my issue resolved.

Johannez

Explorer

Ericloewe, how to disable watchdogd in FreeNAS? I don't see any setting for this and cant find anything in the FreeNAS guide.

Edit: service watchdogd stop

Last edited:

reloaded

Dabbler
Whilst this problem seems a bit rubbish for a supposed server board all responsible should be castigated for not supplying a fix. I found something that worked to get my system working again..................
https://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/61395-asrock-rack-e3c226d2i-wont-post-bios-bmc-update.html
1) remove all power connections from motherboard;
2) remove cmos battery and wait 3-5 minutes;
3) remove all rams;
4) make sure that there is no residual power;
5) wait some time and put the battery back in;
6) insert one ram stick at a tome;
7) insert power connections and power on;
8) if the system posts (it should) then insert the other memory sticks.
Hope this helps someone else.

ibehr

Cadet
Whilst this problem seems a bit rubbish for a supposed server board all responsible should be castigated for not supplying a fix. I found something that worked to get my system working again..................
https://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/61395-asrock-rack-e3c226d2i-won't-post-bios-bmc-update.html
1) remove all power connections from motherboard;
2) remove cmos battery and wait 3-5 minutes;
3) remove all rams;
4) make sure that there is no residual power;
5) wait some time and put the battery back in;
6) insert one ram stick at a tome;
7) insert power connections and power on;
8) if the system posts (it should) then insert the other memory sticks.
Hope this helps someone else.

This resolved my issue, at least temporarily. I am on my 3rd motherboard in just over 2 years though, so this one may be on its way out too.

Lowrider

Cadet
Hi, I've just bought this board and I've had the same problem with it. It kept halting at "System initializing" but after couple restarts the board did not even output any vga signal and the CPU cooler was not getting hot. So I've returned the board but now I'm stuck with a CPU that I can't test because I don't have any other 1150 board.

Did anyone else had this experience ?
Do you think the CPU is dead ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi, I've just bought this board and I've had the same problem with it. It kept halting at "System initializing" but after couple restarts the board did not even output any vga signal and the CPU cooler was not getting hot. So I've returned the board but now I'm stuck with a CPU that I can't test because I don't have any other 1150 board.

Did anyone else had this experience ?
Do you think the CPU is dead ?
You have clearly not had the same problem because your board is completely different. Please start a new thread and explain in detail what your problem is and what steps you have taken to diagnose it.

yourmate

Contributor
You have clearly not had the same problem because your board is completely different.

:D
How do you know?!
He could just simply desolder it...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This thread is about the C2550D4I, not any sort of LGA1150 board.