Asian Languages for Plex Subtitles

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayanll

Cadet
Hello,

I've FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 running with Plex Media Server plugin. Also i got some movies with "Sinhalese" subtitles, which i would really like to watch on TV with plex. But plex encode subtitles for Boxes instead of letters. I did some research and found thats because FreeNas doesnt undestand Subtitle language. How can i install Sinhalese (si_LK.UTF-8) to freenas so plex will be able to encode them properly?

Im really new to FreeNAS, I have no clue how to do this using shell.

thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"FreeNAS doesn't understand subtitle language"? This part makes no sense to me. FreeNAS simply stores the files, plex processes the subtitle languages.

david kennedy

Explorer
Hello,

I've FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 running with Plex Media Server plugin. Also i got some movies with "Sinhalese" subtitles, which i would really like to watch on TV with plex. But plex encode subtitles for Boxes instead of letters. I did some research and found thats because FreeNas doesnt undestand Subtitle language. How can i install Sinhalese (si_LK.UTF-8) to freenas so plex will be able to encode them properly?

Im really new to FreeNAS, I have no clue how to do this using shell.

thanks

My wife is Chinese and I have similar issues so I will take a stab here.

Normally (not a plex expert here) this indicates the playback app does not have the fonts to display the Subtitle language so you might be on to something with (si_LK.UTF-8)

Have you tried to save a filename in "Sinhalese" on your freenas server?

Alternatively, on a windows PC where I assume you have the fonts/Language pack installed can you play back with subs using something else (xbmc, vlc, etc).

Off topic...
You are a pilot?

gayanll

Cadet
My wife is Chinese and I have similar issues so I will take a stab here.

Normally (not a plex expert here) this indicates the playback app does not have the fonts to display the Subtitle language so you might be on to something with (si_LK.UTF-8)

Have you tried to save a filename in "Sinhalese" on your freenas server?

Alternatively, on a windows PC where I assume you have the fonts/Language pack installed can you play back with subs using something else (xbmc, vlc, etc).

Off topic...
You are a pilot?

yeah if i stream using some other application to my laptop then subs work properly. But not when i watch it on TV (using googleTV) subs are encoded in to squares.

Yah i'm a pilot for Sri Lankan :)

gayanll

Cadet
"FreeNAS doesn't understand subtitle language"? This part makes no sense to me. FreeNAS simply stores the files, plex processes the subtitle languages.

Yeah i believe plex to process subtitles, it should understand the subtitle encoding first. if freenas does not undestand Sinhalese, may be plex doesnot too. Is there any way i can install my custom TTF file with simhalese encoding to freeNAS?

nunavat2012

Dabbler
I am curious, did you already try the method in here? :link: Do you get your sinhala subtitles from here http://www.baiscopelk.com I looked at that site, I have only a few movies on my temporary FreeNas sever and I can't find the matching .srt files to go with my movie formats.

PS: any minute, somebody might say this is plex issue not freenas; I am just trying to help.

gayanll

Cadet
I am curious, did you already try the method in here? :link: Do you get your sinhala subtitles from here http://www.baiscopelk.com I looked at that site, I have only a few movies on my temporary FreeNas sever and I can't find the matching .srt files to go with my movie formats.

PS: any minute, somebody might say this is plex issue not freenas; I am just trying to help.

i did exactly as that link says. Subtitle files are recognized by Plex, there is no problem with that. It just plex not undstanding the characters to properly trans code them in to video stream.

Yes i use that "baiscopelk.com" to find most of my subtitles.

Thanks anyway :)

nunavat2012

Dabbler
I get the same problem. I thought running the following in the jail shell (installing kaputa)
pkg install kaputa
would work. But it didn't. I can see the characters in the .srt file, but plex doesn't display them. After searching plex forum a bit, I realized that this wouldn't work.

nunavat2012

Dabbler
Just wanted to add that I couldn't get that subtitles to work with xbmc or vlc. I guess only option is having a windows share on freenas server; then playing those files from a PC/laptop with something like KMplayer.

gayanll

Cadet
yeah. i think the prob is with Plex. It cannot identify the font in *.srt file. So i moved to Windows. i changed the default "Dejavu" font in plex, with custom *.ttf . Now all works fine, though i miss freeNAS.
Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.