Are Toshiba 5TB drives OK for NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheran

Patron
I was originally planning to go with HGST 4TB NAS drives for my 8-drive FreeNAS build, but I'm seeing some attractive prices on Toshiba 5TB drives, model PH3500U-1I72. But this drive isn't advertised as a NAS drive. Has anyone tried these, and do you folks thinks they would be OK to use in a FreeNAS build (RAIDZ2)?

mattbbpl

Patron
I was originally planning to go with HGST 4TB NAS drives for my 8-drive FreeNAS build, but I'm seeing some attractive prices on Toshiba 5TB drives, model PH3500U-1I72. But this drive isn't advertised as a NAS drive. Has anyone tried these, and do you folks thinks they would be OK to use in a FreeNAS build (RAIDZ2)?
I don't see why they'd be a problem. Drives to steer clear of, at least to my knowledge, are WD Purple drives (used for streaming video and prioritize performance over integrity) WD Greens (if you don't want to or know how to WDIdle them), and, perhaps, the Archive drives which use SMR technology and thus incur a significant write penalty during large writes.

Here's a build that uses them. Knowledge users were involved in that thread without raising eyebrows.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/advice-on-this-8-drive-build.30327/

mattbbpl

Patron
Please note: My previous comment is based on this being a HOME NAS installation.

gpsguy

Pheran

Patron
Thank you for linking to that thread, that could be really annoying. I was already leery about using a non-NAS drive so I think I'm just going to avoid these even through the price is very tempting.

I used to have old Hitachi drives in my desktop that would make "meow" sounds which was rather amusing but also a little annoying.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I agree the price on those 5TB Toshibas is very, very juicy. But, as always in life, there's always some reason.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
WD Purple drives (used for streaming video and prioritize performance over integrity)
AV drives such as WD Purples only prioritize performance over integrity when ATA streaming commands are used, which ZFS isn't going to do.

mattbbpl

Patron
AV drives such as WD Purples only prioritize performance over integrity when ATA streaming commands are used, which ZFS isn't going to do.
Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Pheran

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.