Are my scrub and smart tests set up properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
Since my HDD failure I'm trying to be more proactive. I've followed @cyberjock guide to Scrub and smart test schedules to make sure srubs and smart tests don't happen at the same time. My long tests take 527 minutes. Is it ok to have them run for all 6 drives at the same time? If they start at 4am they won't finish until ~1 PM. Can I still use my freenas while that is going on? I've included jpgs of my setup in case someone has some comments.

Scrub Schedule.jpg

Smart Settings.jpg

SMART Test Schedule.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can set it up the way you have it but you can also have one entry for short and one entry for long, you need to just select all the drives during the setup of the test. Hold down the CTRL key when selecting multiple drives.

Everyone has a personal preference on how frequently you should run a SMART test on your drives. I prefer to run a short test every day (Mon - Sat) and a long test on Sunday.

And yes, you can continue to use your system while a long test is working but your data will act a bit slower and the long test will take a bit longer to complete.

As for a scrub, I use the default of once a month but you want to run it twice a month then there is no issue with that. And again, you can use your system during the scrub but your system will be a little bit slower.

Here is a screen capture of my smart tests...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 260

NasKar

Guru
Hold down the CTRL key when selecting multiple drives.
Thanks for the tip. I thought that was a little obtuse. You can also use the shift key and select a range of drives.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can do it anyway you desire as long as the job gets done!

Now go enjoy the sun outside, it's a nice day, well it is here just south of Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.