Apps not working and nas time does not match computer time.

ncw1978

Dabbler
Iam running truenas scale and I am having trouble with the apps not working.
I keep getting a Failed to sync error.

Also on the Dash board I get the error

Your NAS time Oct 06, 23:03:54, GMT+01:00 does not match your computer time.

Any help would be great

ncw1978

Dabbler
Yeah thanks tried everything but found out something more problems with the hardware so I am using another system now which is working fine.

Try fixing your computer's time in the BIOS?
This will only work if you're setting your BIOS time to UTC. I tried forever to manually set it to my local time zone and darn near pulled out my hair for almost a month because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't seeing that my computer time and NAS time were exactly the same. I finally tracked down an article(can't for the life of me remember where at the moment) that explained Linux looks for UTC time from the BIOS as opposed to Windows which will use your local time zone. I updated the time to UTC in my BIOS and poof...the error disappeared and any time sync problems were gone.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This will only work if you're setting your BIOS time to UTC.

That's true, because UNIX does not support any other kind of time. All the things that users think of as "timezones" are local display affectations; the underlying value of the system's time_t is the number of seconds since the epoch, UTC. This means that (time_t) 1666197892 would be that same value whether your server is in the US, Brazil, India, Russia, or on the moon. Displaying this value as Wed Oct 19 11:44:52 CDT 2022 in the US Central timezone is the result of an algorithm that generates this complicated string, but the underlying time is also Wed Oct 19 16:44:52 UTC 2022, just printed differently (what I mean when I say "local display affectation").

Due to the original design limitations of the PC architecture, there is no timezone setting in your BIOS, which makes it complicated to pick up the time from the BIOS to begin with. BSD historically included some sort of hack as part of the installer to try to compensate for this; I cannot recall what the details are, and I'm too lazy to look it up.