Anyway to Monitor Services? (CIFS / iSCSI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmirage

Dabbler
I get the impression from my searching there is no "easy" way to do this, but I am looking for a way to monitor the status of a service in FreeNAS 8. In my case I would eventually be able to pool the server using Nagios and to find out if CIFS and/or iSCSI are up and running.

I suspect i'll have to try to script something can anyone help identify processes to look for various services in FreeNAS8, or point me in the right direction I haven't seen it mentioned in the documentation I have read just that you can see the running processes by opening

"Display System Processes"

I suspect that "istgt" is the iSCSI process and that "smbd" is CIFS are there other processes I should watch for those services as well?

Thank you
-Snow

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm not sure, but there might be a way with SNMP. I don't know what FreeNAS supports as far as SNMP.

One way to see what process is started is to enable "Show console messages in the footer" on the Settings page. Then when you enable/disable the service or make a change in the GUI, you can see at the bottom what is getting started etc.

smbd is for CIFS, not sure about iSCSI.

snowmirage

Dabbler
Thanks, know that I can hopefully figure out what service is which I'll see if i can just access FreeNAS via SSH or something and script it to return the status of the process

Hopefully this works

Status
Not open for further replies.