Anyone running unifi controller successfully in 11.3u1?

zdenkers

Dabbler
looking at moving all my APs to unifi APs don't really wanna pay for a cloud key or their 400 dollar AP/Router combo that includes a controller. Before i pull the trigger i would like to know if i am going to run into big headaches/issues with the controller installing it in a jail, or if jails are problematic an ubuntu vm. If anyone has run 11.3U1 and got it successfully running in a jail what difficulties did you run into? Has anyone run it in an ubuntu vm without issues?

I was running the UniFi plugin (not the LTS version) as a plugin. Once I did that, I started getting key exchange warnings that seemed to be coming from the plugin. Plus, there does not seem to be any schedule as to when the UniFi Controller plugin would be updated (e.g., it has been over a week since the Controller was updated and there no ETA (or way to find out) when the plugin would be updated.

I moved it to a Ubuntu-based VM (on my ESXi server) and the messages disappeared. I do not know if the key exchange errors were coming from the UniFi Controller itself, the way the plugin is designed, or something else. My Emby plugins do not give these errors.

The thread on this is https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ation-connection-closed-by-remote-host.82334/

So, yes it works.

zdenkers

Dabbler
so it works, but not without issues. i'd really prefer not to have to mess with issues like that if i can avoid it. I assume when you say you moved it to an ubuntu vm on your ESXI host that means its no longer running on your freenas machine?

Yorick

Wizard
Plugins are typically updated quarterly, sometimes less often. A custom jail is a much better choice when being "up to date" matters.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm on 11.2U-7 but my Unifi jail is on 11.3 and running without issues. It's a manual install and not the plugin.

Running it as a Bhyve VM or as a custom jail were another options. But since I already have an ESX server with capacity (VM images are on FreeNAS) I decided to run it there.

Redcoat

MVP
I have the Unifi Controller in an 11.3 jail, manual install, not plugin. Works fine, no issues.l

zdenkers

Dabbler
I have the Unifi Controller in an 11.3 jail, manual install, not plugin. Works fine, no issues.l
any difficulties getting it installed?

from what i'm seeing its a pretty silly one to have as plugin the install is pretty straightforward.

Ubiquiti has some pretty clear instructions for Ubuntu (and deriviates), Red Hat/CentOS, Windows, etc. on installing it. It can also run in a Docker container (used to run it on my Synology NAS).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

zdenkers

Dabbler

kernalzero

Dabbler

cloud

Dabbler
I'm running Unifi from the Community plugin on FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 and I haven't had any issues. Easy install/setup
But is doesn't seem like the Community Plugin is being maintained and I haven't been able to successfully update Unifi via CLI

Is the consensus to just run a custom Jail and avoid the plugin?
(I had done this before but when freeNAS started offering more Plugins, I converted several jails back to plugins)

Given that opinions are like err... bellybuttons, I would say that running as a custom jail is the better option.

(Then again, given that some of Ubiquiti's updates have been less than stellar staying at the version that is working for you is not a bad thing....)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Given that opinions are like err... bellybuttons, I would say that running as a custom jail is the better option.

(Then again, given that some of Ubiquiti's updates have been less than stellar staying at the version that is working for you is not a bad thing....)
Stay on the quarterly package repo and you won't have that issue.

cloud

Dabbler
is that how the community plugin is configured?
on a quarterly update?

looks like the JSON is set to latest

Code:
https://github.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index/blob/master/unificontroller.json
"pkgs": [
        "unifi5"
    ],
    "packagesite": "http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",

Last edited: