Any idea when the ZoL/ZoF merge is likely to arrive in FreeNAS?

Stilez

Guru
I know that future release stuff is notoriously "when its ready, its ready". But I really *really* need the allocation classes aspect of the ZoL merge, and I gather ixSystems is one of the leads on it. Any sense at all when it'll be likely to have had enough time for debug testing, and enough time to appear in a FreeNAS release? First or 2nd half 2020? Longer?

I promise not to hold anyone to it, but it'll be really helpful to gain some idea even what year is likely, or what milestones are involved now? I don't usually ask "When?" type questions for release work, but on this one, please, any insights very appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Stilez

Guru
That makes FreeNAS 12 doubly interesting. Isn't that also.when ino64 (part of FreeBSD 12-REL?) is due to be in freenas, effectively bringing an end to most mountpoint path length issues, and unsearchable/unmountable snapshots they can cause? :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Jessep

Patron

Stilez

Guru
6 months doesn't seem likely for FN12, given that 11.2-U5, 11.2-U6 and 11.3 (and any update versions for 11.3) are all in the pipeline before it?

Hence why I wondered if we have a realistic idea of timescale for the goodies in FN12 to arrive as a release :) even "to the nearest 6 months" would be useful :) and of course not holding anyone to it, but some idea would help - partly because I'm also balancing HW workarounds for ZFS efficiency issues that may well resolve in 12 anyhow.