AMD Ryzen Build

amdpeasant

Cadet
Been reading posts on here and Reddit about AMD Ryzen builds, and thought I'd share mine for anyone who is interested. Below are the specs:

Hardware
CPU - AMD Ryzen 1700
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling 33 CO
RAM - Crucial 8GB DDR4 ECC Modules x 4
Motherboard - ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
NIC - Intel E1G42ET with Intel 82576 Controller
HDD - Western Digital 4TB Red WD40EFRX x5
Case - Fractal Design Node 804
PSU - Corsair 500w Bronze

Have ran this for over a month now, with the below services:

- SMB shares
- Plex jail of over 10TB worth of content. Have about 1-3 streams of 1080p content, no issues here
- Minecraft jail
- Ubuntu Server 18.04 Bhyve VM for SteamCMD. Runs 7 Days to Die almost 24/7, at peak having 8 players at once, no issues here other than my own messing!

Overall haven't had any cases of corruption, scrub or stability issues. Before this CPU and MB, I had a 7th gen i3 on an MSI workstation mb with the intention of going Xeon, but decided against it to try an AMD build. Didn't regret it and have been running fine since.

Hope this helps anyone looking at an AMD build.

Attachments

• nas-uptime.png
    nas-uptime.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,828

Arwen

MVP
I wish there were more AMD Ryzen, (and lower cost Epyc), server style boards. Lots of companies make server boards that can take Intel i3, Pentium, or Celeron CPUs, in addition to Xeons.

cheezystix

Dabbler
I have almost everything you have in your build laying around ..
except my mobo is a ASRock AB350 Pro4

I dont plan on using this build for anything other than file backups.
I have been staying away from AMD as most recommend Intel
So I am actually using a 9 year old Intel mobo instead

Based on you're build, I may be able to use AMD

NiallCon

Cadet
Been reading posts on here and Reddit about AMD Ryzen builds, and thought I'd share mine for anyone who is interested. Below are the specs:

Hardware
CPU - AMD Ryzen 1700

- SMB shares
- Plex jail of over 10TB worth of content. Have about 1-3 streams of 1080p content, no issues here
- Minecraft jail
- Ubuntu Server 18.04 Bhyve VM for SteamCMD. Runs 7 Days to Die almost 24/7, at peak having 8 players at once, no issues here other than my own messing!

Overall haven't had any cases of corruption, scrub or stability issues. Before this CPU and MB, I had a 7th gen i3 on an MSI workstation mb with the intention of going Xeon, but decided against it to try an AMD build. Didn't regret it and have been running fine since.

I have almost everything you have in your build laying around ..
except my mobo is a ASRock AB350 Pro4

I don't plan on using this build for anything other than file backups.
I have been staying away from AMD as most recommend Intel
So I am actually using a 9 year old Intel mobo instead

Based on you're build, I may be able to use AMD

Thanks for the build. I was going to build something similar.
Do you not require a GPU for that build? I'm looking for a suggestion for a basic graphics card if that is the case.
I also see that you are using crucial ECC ram but I've looked on the crucial website and done a search for the motherboard and all I'm seeing is non-ecc options?
Thanks and please keep us updated on your progress.
Kind Regards,
Niall

Last edited:

_Alchemist_

Dabbler
I wish there were more AMD Ryzen, (and lower cost Epyc), server style boards. Lots of companies make server boards that can take Intel i3, Pentium, or Celeron CPUs, in addition to Xeons.
ASRock Rack (ASRock's Server Brand) release the X470D4U about 1 Month ago and it even has official ECC (UDIMM) Support, but i don't know anything as far as the availability is concerned ...

I might buy this Board to upgrade from an Core i5-2400 + 8GiB DDR3 on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 to an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GiB DDR4 :D

IceBoosteR

Guru
ASRock Rack (ASRock's Server Brand) release the X470D4U about 1 Month ago and it even has official ECC (UDIMM) Support, but i don't know anything as far as the availability is concerned ...

I might buy this Board to upgrade from an Core i5-2400 + 8GiB DDR3 on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 to an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GiB DDR4 :D
Wow, thanks for sharing. I was looking around for something like this for quite some time. But it is not avaialable yet. Looking forward to Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) also. Maybe this will be my next build ;)

LTCM

Dabbler

They announced it, the board hasn't been released yet. It will also have ipmi and aspeed graphics. And dual intel nics.

Only downside seems to be the m.2 slots are limited and not full speed. Offset slightly by splitable x16 but still, it's a little disappointing.

Edit: Just seeing it listed in retailers today. Literally looked before I posted but right now it's listed at newegg and amazon. Out of stock but listed.

Last edited:

MarkN

Cadet

Hardware
CPU - AMD Ryzen 1700

- SMB shares
- Minecraft jail

Nice system... How efficient is this system? Does it run quiet?