Am OK to update via apt-upgrade?

gribbler

Dabbler
Subject says it all - is running apt-get upgrade acceptable or will I break things? (running TrueNAS-SCALE-20.10-ALPHA)
Or am I better off to move to nightlies? Thanks guys, I've been happy with running if the last week - does all i need and looking forward to its continued development

nasbdh9

Dabbler
The same question, can the version officially released in 2021 be upgraded through apt?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS SCALE includes the OS and ZFS.. its not an application. The webUI has an upgrade button. Its the tried and tested way of upgrading.

gribbler

Dabbler
TrueNAS SCALE includes the OS and ZFS.. its not an application. The webUI has an upgrade button. Its the tried and tested way of upgrading.
I get that, but - if i run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade I'm met with possible updates - is the idea that they are to be ignored and only upgrade via the web interface? I just updated via to the latest nightly, yet:

The following packages will be upgraded:
python3-pyroute2 python3-remote-pdb

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes. Only upgrade via UI.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The reason for this is that the system is tested as a whole..... a new upgrade of one software module might introduce an incompatibility.

gribbler

Dabbler
The reason for this is that the system is tested as a whole..... a new upgrade of one software module might introduce an incompatibility.

Thanks guys, been running well for me, looking forward to the further releases