Allan Jude's ZFS slides from vBSDcon 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thanks, that was interesting. Pretty cool some of the upcoming ZFS features especially vdev removal for the noob pool expansion mistakes.

Allan Jude

Dabbler
Thanks, that was interesting. Pretty cool some of the upcoming ZFS features especially vdev removal for the noob pool expansion mistakes.

Remember that vdev removal will ONLY apply to 'stripe' (which you should never use), and 'mirror' vdevs. It does not work for RAID-Z*

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Remember that vdev removal will ONLY apply to 'stripe' (which you should never use), and 'mirror' vdevs. It does not work for RAID-Z*
Oh, we're well aware sir. At least I assume @Jailer is...

Speaking of stripes, we haven't had a user in a few days that takes a perfectly good 9disk Raid-Z3 vdev and stripes in a single disk vdev. We're due.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Oh, we're well aware sir. At least I assume @Jailer is...

Speaking of stripes, we haven't had a user in a few days that takes a perfectly good 9disk Raid-Z3 vdev and stripes in a single disk vdev. We're due.

Exactly the situation that I was referring to.

Allan Jude

Dabbler

I know Dexter has a client do that, cost like $5k to get it fixed @ DriveSavers

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Exactly the situation that I was referring to.
I dunno, can they be removed from a RAIDZn pool? I got the impression that they couldn't, but it's been a while since I looked at that effort.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ooh, compressed ARC. That is something that modern systems can definitely benefit from and anything that reduces memory pressure is very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.