Alert shows two drives down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You can try to force a drive to remap bad sectors by wiping it, e.g. with DBAN or badblocks, but that means removing it from your pool, at least temporarily.

In fact you can do it without wiping it by using dd to write only this sector but it's not something I'll recommend to a noob however...

There is a small possibility of data leakage, so if it's a real concern, wipe it before returning it.

Hum... only one drive from a pool? I don't think you can recover much (as we sadly see each time a member has a problem with his pool and want to recover the data...).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
only one drive from a pool? I don't think you can recover much
Yes, it would be very hard to recover any intact files, but that doesn't mean there's no chance of data leakage, e.g. something that was in a plain text file. Hence "if it's a real concern" ...

Bidule0hm

Yeah of course, but it would be some very very very sensitive data then :)

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

I have no secret data but better safe than sorry. Beyond unplugging the drive is there a way to drop the drive from the freenas pool (I have another to swap in)? I wouldnt mind wiping the drive with Freenas.

Thanks,
Rich

Bidule0hm

Follow the manual for replacing a drive (but in short you should offline the drive with the right button in the GUI before unplugging it, and then use the replace button to select the new drive).

RichTJ99

Patron
Thanks, working on wiping it now with 0's & will RMA the drive. Just to confirm it is safe to unplug the SATA/Power cables from the system while it is powered on? I have never done a hot swap and have always shut down the computers before plugging / unplugging drives to allow the disks to stop spinning before messing with them.

Granted I have no problem plugging & unplugging usb enclosures so maybe its no different.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would not recommend hot-plugging SATA unless your hardware specifically supports it (i.e., the drives are in a hot-swap cage with suitable backplane). @joeschmuck wouldn't recommend hot-plugging even then.

RichTJ99

Patron
Thanks for the advice. I would be more comfortable turning it off anyway. BTW - how loud is your case vs a standard tower?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It isn't too bad most of the time, but even at its quietest, it's definitely louder than any desktop machine I've used. I can't really quantify it for you, as (1) I don't have a sound meter, and (2) there's another server, and two Litecoin miners, running in there too, so any measurement wouldn't be valid. I wouldn't want to have this in my living room.

RichTJ99

Patron
So as it turns out the drive I pulled which has the bad sector (ADA1) does not have a warranty. How bad is it to continue to use the drive in a Raidz2 environment? It makes me very nervous using it but if 1 bad sector is OK & wont harm the other data, I am OK using it.

EDIT: I plugged the drive into a windows based PC & ran the seagate tools on the drive. Short smart test showed nothing, Freenas picked up the error right away. The long test is in progress now.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So as it turns out the drive I pulled which has the bad sector (ADA1) does not have a warranty. How bad is it to continue to use the drive in a Raidz2 environment? It makes me very nervous using it but if 1 bad sector is OK & wont harm the other data, I am OK using it.
It's not an immediate issue. I'd probably tolerate it indefinitely, if it doesn't grow. Do have a replacement on hand, though.

Bidule0hm

Status
Not open for further replies.