AEC-82885t installation problem

ArcProd

Dabbler
I'm Way new with TRUENAS, alway work with BUFALLO NAS.

I want to make my own NAS for home, with and old PC:

Mainboard: Intel X58SO
Processor: I7 First generation
RAM: 16 GB
BOOT drive SSD

I want to use 5 SAS drives 8Tb. So I got an AEC-92885t Adaptec card to work with the SAS units.
I've install it in my Mainboard but, apparently, TRUENAS doesn't recognize it. Only the SATA disks connected to the mainboard are shown at TRUENAS

What should I do?

somethingweird

Contributor
I'm also new - but isn't that Adaptec card an expander? don't you need HBA/controller card or something compatible to run the expander?

ArcProd

Dabbler
You are right I figure it out too late.
I didn't know it so now I have to buy an HBA. I want to buy this one any suggestion? Will this work with the expander?

HBA I want to buy

Is there anything I should know about the cable I need to connect those two?

Thank's

somethingweird

Contributor
My suggestion do research. I have no experience with hba or sas. Maybe start with reading this

and go down the rabbit hole. Plenty of hba info on this forum if you search for it

artlessknave

Wizard
that SAS card will be way overkill for spinners. even SAS spinners will likely only give you SAS2 speeds.
that price is pretty good as long the seller is honest and sends the correct card. I dont see any obvious signs that would indicate it being a knockoff LSI card.
you would need the correct cables. if you are going straight to the drives you will not need the expander (that model number gets 0 google results, typo?)
sff-8643 to SATA breakout cable would be all you need, which are in the picture. the details doesnt specify them being included though.