Added Disk to encrypted volume - Didn't generate new key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnx

Dabbler
Hello Fellow FreeNas'sers!

I had an non auto mount encrypted drive that I unlocked when booting & I added a 3rd drive to the volume. I didn't redownload the key as I didnt think I needed to once added.

However, since rebooting and trying to unlock the volume I now cannot unlock the volume anymore.

Have I lost all the data?

Thanks,

joeschmuck

Old Man
I hope you had a backup of your data. This is why we tell folks not to use encrypted drives unless there is a real requirement like an office environment. Someone else with encryption experience will need to look at this one because your wording has me a bit concerned.

You stated that you added a 3rd drive to the volume. Lets forget about encryption for a minute because if you had a vdev of two drives called "mypool" and then added one more drive to "mypool", this means that you incorrectly added a drive to the pool and if that new drive is no longer operational, then the entire pool is gone.

Maybe you could explain your situation with a bit more detail as someone else will need it to help you and also include your system hardware and which version of FreeNAS you are running.

And might I add this advice: If you are going to use encrypted drives, ensure you intentionally cause failures to see if you can overcome the issues. You need to be on top of your game when it comes to encrypted drives.

-Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.