Add hard drive to single raidz3

cameronkeel

Dabbler
All,

I have 14 drives, a mix of 3tb and 4tb. I just purchased enough 4tb to finish replacing all the 3tb drives. My question is twofold. Once I replace all drives with 4tb can I then expand to use all available drive space.

Also, I have the ability to add a 15th drive (3 external 5 bay towers). Is it possible to add that drive to the same single vdev raidz3?

thanks in advance for the solutions/answers.

CK

Alecmascot

Guru
It should auto expand when the resilver is finished.
No

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it possible to add that drive to the same single vdev raidz3?
No, it is not. And 14 disks is a very wide vdev--expect very poor performance as it fills.

cameronkeel

Dabbler
Thx for both responses. If I have enough extra drives laying around to copy data what would you suggest as a configuration, using 15 4Tb drives.

for information, this is just in my house. back up of some data, photography (important) and then some movies/TV shows for Plex.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, that depends. If those "external 5-bay towers" connect via USB, I'd say scrap the whole thing and use more suitable hardware, as USB just isn't that compatible with long-term stable connection. But if they're something else--SAS, perhaps--there's still the question of how to configure that many disks. A 7-disk and an 8-disk RAIDZ2 vdev, striped together, is the best I can think of--the GUI will warn you about such a mismatched configuration, but will still allow it, and there's no likely real harm there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And thus use SATA port multipliers, I suppose.

cameronkeel

Dabbler
thx Danb35 for the info. I'm using a HA-DAT-4ESPCIE - Sans Digital card which is PCI-e just like the H200 and H310. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

I've been using this setup for about 10 years or so. Not sure if I am seeing any performance issues, but it isn't used that hard, just me and my wife, and mostly Plex and my photography portfolio.

As I know this system is getting older, I'd love some input on an affordable upgrade in hardware.

Davvo

MVP
Please read the following resources.

You can find more knowledge in my signature or directly in the apposite section of the forum.

Last edited: