Add ability to label each physical HDD !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
?

You just need to copy the serial number of the HDDs to stickers put on the trays ;)

That's what I've been saying from beginning.

Bidule0hm

Yep, but the OP doesn't seem to understand it's the right thing to do so I reposted.

NB: if you find the S/N is too long just use the last 4 or 5 digits; the first digits are often the same for each disk anyway (especially if they were purchased at the same time) ;)

TinTIn

Contributor
Depending on how many disks your managing you could have a spreadsheet with the serial numbers of the drives and list their physical location however you need to make sure you update the spreadsheet every time you replace a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bidule0hm

TinTIn

Contributor
Is anyone familiar with blinking lights commands? If I know da5 has failed can I verify its location by blinking lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just use DD to cause the light to come on.

dasti

Explorer
this thread is very interesting for me for remote maintenance of small business

the idea is to prevent the mistake of pulling out a disk that shouldn't be, in a situation that is already degraded :
- I can assume that behind that labeling idea it's certainly that if an end-user that has to pull out the drive, you can expect that he won't read a serial number correctly...(letters or 2 digit numbers are more simple)
- other problem, if there's no physical label or no space to stick it on the drive tray, you'll have to power down the machine, to check the serial....it add chances to make another drive fail
- the blinking light idea is quite interesting !!!

Bidule0hm

If he doesn't want to read 4 or 5 characters then he'll not read a 2 digits number either and then he shouldn't touch the server in this case...

If you don't have space on the tray you can do a table on a sheet that you stick on the rack door or wherever you want ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.