Adaptec 82885R SAS expander causing checksum errors

sarieri

Cadet
Hi guys,

I am using LSI 9300-8i with Adaptec 82885T SAS Expander and connecting 17 drives to the expander. However, I find that Truenas Scale will occasionally pop out checksum error alerts and put the storage pool into unhealthy status when the pool is under heavy I/O (for instance during PT downloading). I have tried to connect the SAS Expander with another HBA LSI 9207-8i and the problem persist so I would assume the HBAs are fine. I have tried to connect to drives directly to HBAs and the problems are gone so I guess the 8643 to sata cables are fine and the power supply should have no problem as well. I have also tried to flash firmware of the Expander. Although the problem persist B059 from Adaptec seems to cause such problem less frequently and B061 from lenovo's website and B057 from Intel's website seems to cause the problem much more frequently. I used this card in my Truenas Core system for two month and none of this happened. So is this a faulty Expander or is it just Truenas Scale having driver issues with the Adaptec Expanders?

My setup:
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRL-F
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1000G6 connecting to 23 drives, each sata power line is connected to 6 drives in max.
HBAs: 9207-8i, 9300-8i flashed to newest IT mode firmware