Access FreeNAS direct via VPN Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

marove

Cadet
Hello everybody,

What I would like to achieve:
I would like to access a NFS share of my FreeNAS via a VPN Tunnel. The VPN-Server is external and the FreeNAS should connect automatically as Client to the VPN-Server. From there on, it should be possible by any Client of the VPN to access NFS shares directly via VPN.

My question:
What is the best option to do that? The Server should autostart the VPN Tunnel in an event of a reboot. I've found this already: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...envpn-inside-a-jail-in-freenas-11-1-u1.61681/ but in my understanding the author is creating a VPN Server on the FreeNAS. Can every Jail access a NFS-Share?

I hope you can help me.

Regards
Marove

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The VPN-Server is external and the FreeNAS should connect automatically as Client to the VPN-Server.
The thing you are asking for is actually all about the VPN and has nothing to do with FreeNAS. You should research how to setup a Point to Point VPN. It would be the client computer that would run a software component to connect back to the VPN server which would need to be on the same network with the FreeNAS. The VPN connection would provide the client with connectivity to the remote network where the FreeNAS is. There would be nothing extra for the FreeNAS system to do besides just being on the same network that the VPN server is on.

marove

Cadet
Hello Chris,

thank you for your reply. Actually the VPN Server already has a lot of Clients, so this is not a problem. The Problem: The FreeNAS is the only physically server in this particular network. That means the FreeNAS has to achieve the point to point connection. Could this be established with a jail?

Regards

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello Chris,

thank you for your reply. Actually the VPN Server already has a lot of Clients, so this is not a problem. The Problem: The FreeNAS is the only physically server in this particular network. That means the FreeNAS has to achieve the point to point connection. Could this be established with a jail?

Regards
If you need FreeNAS to establish a remote, outbound connection to a VPN server, that is not on your local network, you will need to install software to handle that and the only way to do that is with a jail or possibly a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.