A2SDI-H-TF journey

aghadjip

Dabbler
Hey Folks,
Wanted to document my success (or failure) building my second nas setup.
Current setup is a A1san-2750f, bought in 2015, havent hit the bug yet so am considering myself on borrowed time. It has a LSI LSI00244 (9201-16i) supporting a norco 16 bay hotswap case. 32 gb of ecc, 4x 1gb eth lacp'ed.

Disks are 2 6 disk raidz2 vdevs. HGST 2 TB sata 2 drives
Performance has been great for what i use it for, although the vm performance could be better (yes i know mirrored vdevs are the bees knees for VM perf, which will be a consideration)

This has been a great system, but times march on and my proxmox servers have been upgraded to 10 gb, so its time the nas did as well.
New setup will include
Norco 24 hot swap with SAS3 backplanes.
Intel RES2SV240
A2SDI-H-TF + 32 gigs of memory

The plan is to use one of the boards mini sas HD's to connect to the intel expander, then mini sas 3 cables to the backplane. I have not found anything on the web about someone trying to do this, so ill take the hit and see if we can get it working. The 4x pci slot on this board is problematic. I truly wish supermicro had put a x8 on here, as if i cannot use one of the onboard sas port to the expander, ill have to find a pcie x4 sas 3 hba card, which seem to be pricy as my options are limited.

Plan is to balance available space with perf. Id like to use 4 x 6 disk raidz2 vdevs instead of 12 x 2 disk mirrors. I could split the workload between vm pool (proxmox uses iscsi) and long term storage pool (3d print files, plex, 3d animation files etc). Or for convenience, just have one large pool like i have currently. Initial population will be HGST sata3 2tb. OS drive will be a smallish m2 as the board supports it.

As the parts come in, ill be doing some mods to help with noise, noctua fans both on the disk wall and at the rear of the case. The current NAS is a little loud as i didnt give it the noise treatment.

Opinions welcomed, positive or negative

Here is a pic of the current setup in the closet. Ubnt gear with 3x proxmox ( X11SDV-4C-TLN2F) and the old nas on the bottom.
IMG_20191230_092336.jpg

aghadjip

Dabbler
Update. Well the supermicro mini sas does not work with the intel expander. Threw in an old LSI connected to the expander and it works as expected. Looking at what options i have at the moment. hard to find pcie x4 3.0 sas2/3 cards at the moment.