A good Auth App ?

panzerscope

Contributor
Hello all.

I am wanting to protect my NAS GUI with an authorization page, prior to arriving at the NAS GUI Login page. Could someone recommend a good one ? I think "External-Services" is one, however for whatever reason, after install, it will not run. So I wondered what others are available :)

Thanks in advance,
P

truecharts

Guru
Authelia is a good auth app.
External-Service is not an auth app though.

Best contact our support staff on discord correctly if you've questions about TrueCharts.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The "external service" app just configures Traefik to be a reverse proxy for something else (like, in your case, the TrueNAS UI). Part of that configuration can include, if you like, one or more "middleware" configurations, like requiring authentication. Thus the external service app doesn't handle authentication itself, but it can link in to other authentication providers. As mentioned above, Authelia is one authentication app (and from what I've seen, it's the best-documented); Authentik is another.

panzerscope

Contributor
Thanks for the comments guys.

I may have to hit up the TC Discord as when I install External Services, I get the following error and it will not start ? Before I do that though, anything obvious from the below ?

External Services.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer
If that app's going to work as intended, you'd want to enable Ingress, specify a hostname (twice), path (/ is normally right), and cert (ordinarily, or ideally, a wildcard cert from Let's Encrypt, which they cover in a different video). If those things are all set, I'm not sure where the issue would be.

panzerscope

Contributor
If that app's going to work as intended, you'd want to enable Ingress, specify a hostname (twice), path (/ is normally right), and cert (ordinarily, or ideally, a wildcard cert from Let's Encrypt, which they cover in a different video). If those things are all set, I'm not sure where the issue would be.
Yeah all those options are set, so I assume it is something else.

panzerscope

Contributor
I will take a look at Authelia. Strangely I setup Auth through Trafik and set it up for NextCloud. When going to my nextcloud domain, I get the Auth prompt as expected, however after logging in, it takes me to the NextCloud site, but with "Error" and no login box.

Refreshing does not help and just brings back the Auth login box. Anyone seen this before with Traefik Auth ?