9.10 virtualbox & memory fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtfR6a

Explorer
Has anyone observed FreeNAS using more free memory on 9.10 than under 9.3?
Specifically related to Virtualbox and a Windows VM which fell over due to a lack of memory earlier today. Ive not seen this before in months of this VM running under 9.3.

Ive attached my 9.3 memory utilisation graph which shows circa 10G free, compared to 9.10 which is < 2G approximately.

Is there a way to enforce some memory being left for Virtualbox machines or other jails?

Attachments

• freenasram.png
    freenasram.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 9.3ram.png
    9.3ram.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 910.png
    910.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'd file this as a bug, because this should not have happened, I don't think. But:

Is there a way to enforce some memory being left for Virtualbox machines or other jails?

Yes, you can set an arc_max. e.g., this will set the max zfs cache usage to 110GB:

System->Tunables->Add Tunable

Variable: vfs.zfs.arc_max
Value: 110g
Type: Loader

Note that whatever you put into "Value", the "g" for GB is lower case (I don't know if that's still important...). This will mean that no more than 110GB of memory (or whatever you select) will get wired to the ARC.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
And, by the way, a new "loader" will not effect until a reboot. So you will have to reboot the box. ***DO NOT*** mis-spell or mis-type the loader information, because you could hang up your box.

Status
Not open for further replies.