9.1.1 Update from 8.3.1 stops under Xenserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch77

Cadet
Hi guys,

for testing purposes I tried to upgrade my Freenas 8.3.1 installation to 9.1.1. via the gui-upgrade. The test machine is running in a Citrix Xenserver 6.1 environment on a Dell T610 with 48 GB Ram and 2 XEON 5530 processors.
The upload was sucessful, but after the first reboot the VM stops with the following screen:
2013-08-29_1527.png

I turned on the verbose mode and it says:

2013-08-29_1600.png

Any ideas how to move forward?

Thanks,
Michael

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I hate to say it, but you are kind of on your own. You're the first person I've seen in a very long time to try to virtualize FreeNAS via a Xenserver. My source says that he don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work with Xenserver in particular, but as always FreeNAS shouldn't be run in a VM for various reasons.

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/p...duction-as-a-virtual-machine.12484/#post58364

Have you tried disabling ACPI for FreeNAS during the bootup?

Have you tried anything in particular or did you get there and decide to seek a higher authority before going further? Do you have a backup copy of your config file from before the upgrade?

As a last resort you could try reinstalling FreeNAS 8.3.1 to the same disk it is currently installed to. It might work, it might not. If it has problems because you've upgraded to 9.1 before a database wipe should solve the problem.

As for your data, as long as you don't try to create any new partitions (be it ZFS or UFS) your data is safe. All you need to do is get a copy of FreeNAS that is compatible with your zpool version (probably v28) and then do the auto-import and your data will be back. That's one of the great advantages to how FreeNAS is designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.