23.10.1.3 - apps stuck at deploying

Hi,
i needed to reboot my TrueNAS Scale system today and i think that the last change was the update that was offered to 23.10.1.3 (from .1). I don't think it required a reboot, at least i cannot recall. There were also updates for Plex Media Server, netdata and filebrowser.

The apps don't start/switch to running state. They are stuck at "Deploying".
Of course, as bad as it is, i don't see anymore in the Plex settings the i915 GPU being reserved/passed-through (it's always 0). The i915 is shown in the startup logs and the i915 module is loaded.
I rolled back to the old Plex version (it said "1.7.59") but to no avail.

Anyone else? Any logs i can provide?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
There were zero changes to the apps framework from 23.10.1.1 -> .3. Probably due to a change in the charts repo. If these are apps from the Official TrueNAS Catalog, please file a ticket here:

ikarlo

Dabbler
With truenas scale apps, unfortunately, this is the expected behaviour

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yea, we're seeing too many of these. @truenasinterested Be sure to file a ticket so we can investigate. We have a handful of fixes for this coming in the next update, but we need to see if its the same cause or something different.

Hello, many thanks. I wanted to feedback to you that i believe i have an overheating/too-much wattage-drawing host bus adapter which might have been the culprit and not the software: The machine booted fine after i let it cool down for an hour or so and even upgraded to the newer apps after that cold boot - i ordered a newer card Broadcom 9400-16i which should be only half of the power in comparison to the 9300-16i currently. I will report back once that's arrived and i have news. Meanwhile, i powered it off.
Any way to verify the data integrity? I am still in the early stages of migrating so nothing's lost, i am just wondering how to most efficiently do the comparison. In past years, i did binary md5sums but we are talking about TB.

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Good to hear you figured out the culprit. In this case you may want to do a scrub of the pool to check for integrity issue: