2.5GbE on Mini X+ 10GBaseT ports?

Sean Hafeez

Dabbler
The Mini X+ has 2x10GBaseT ports. I have been unable to find the NIC chipset information. I was wondering if anyone knows if those ports support 2.5GbE?

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I can't find the specific motherboard used by the Mini X+. It's either the Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F, the C3758 version of the board in the Mini X, or a custom version with 10GbE instead of the quad GbE. If it's the latter case, the C3758 SoC supports 10GbE, 2.5GbE and 1GbE, PHY support allowing. Since 2.5GbE is 10GbE encoding at 1GbE bandwidth, I would assume it would be supported in all C3758 10GbE systems.

Honestly, send an email to the iX sales team and they'll probably answer very quickly. Let us know their answer.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's pretty weird, how did you contact them?

Sean Hafeez

Dabbler
Received an answer of "no" today, however I am not sure I believe it and I am asking for the NIC model or the chipset on the board.

Sean Hafeez

Dabbler
So they tell me they have reviewed and assure me that 2.5/5g are NOT supported. I asked for the motherboard model number and I was told they will not share that information which I find absurd. It is not like you cannot see the info in the boot screen or just looking at the MB.

It looks like I will be building a custom system myself.

Sean Hafeez

Dabbler
So I did some digging and I believe the PHY on the board they use is a Intel X557-AT/AT2/AT4 Base-T PHY C. The SerDes are old school from 2015 so no 2.5/5G supported. Oh well.

The motherboard is likely based on the Supermicro A2SDi- series as Ericlowe said above likely some version of the A2SDi-H-TF.