1st 2TB W DEARS drive dies after 3 weeks of running 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekkie

Patron
This morning I had a nasty surprise on my brand new FreeNAS system, after 3 weeks of running 24/7 my first HD died.

I half expected one of Seagate drives to die, but to my surprise it was one of the WD EARS drives that decided to develop bad sectors.

that sucks. i lost both 2 TB disks in a mirror in a span of a few hours earlier this year. i no longer have just a single disk of redundancy, all my pools are raidz2, even my 4 disk pool.

rickwhois

Cadet
that's bad news. Did you choose "Force 4096 bytes sector size" when you created the volume? I read somewhere that these drives operate better with the sector size.

Tekkie

Patron
Yeh did the 4K sector size using 8.0.1-beta2, zpool scrub also recovered 128KB of bad sectors, as the drive was bought with Amazon in the UK exchanging it is a no-hassel affair and I can live a couple of days with a drive less in the system.

sleid

Dabbler
Hello,
Keep in mind that the ideal operating temp of a hard drive is between 25 ° C and 40 ° c outside these values ​​their life is random.

freeflow

Dabbler
I bought 3x1TB Hitachi drives for a FreeNAS upgrade. Two failed within a month (one within days of installation).

Tekkie

Patron
@sleid,

the drives live in cages with dedicated fans blowing fresh air over them ;) temperature is well within acceptable parameters.

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Those EARS drives aren't built for 24/7 usage so if they were' constantly being accessed 24hours a day then you could expect a short lifespan from them. Rather get RAID Edition drives if you need something that will run 24/7

Tekkie

Patron
The 24/7 should not be a problem for a week or so IMHO. ;) After that the drives will be given an easier time as the NAS is used at home.

Yagobg

Cadet
I have 10 x 2TB WDEARS in a single radisz2 pool and they have been working fine since install day which was two months ago. I don't remember if I selected the 4k option when creating the pool but the monster is working great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding the drives I know they are not build for 24x7 environment. Thinking about exchanging them one by one.

ProtoSD

MVP
At least you're lucky enough that it failed in the first 30days and you can get another NEW one instead of doing an RMA and getting stuck with a refurbished one.

Tekkie

Patron
AFAIK in Europe at least a warranty replacement cannot be a refurbished item.

Status
Not open for further replies.