SOLVED 11.3-U5 to Truenas 12...installer says it will delete my current environment?

guermantes

Patron
Hi,

1) So I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and upgrade. But the web-UI says my current install will be deleted. So will I not be able to boot into my current environment if 12 does not work smoothly for me?

I thought one of the good points with ZFS (?) was that I would have my old environments still there. Obviously I would not update to new zfs flags immediately.

2) Also, should I not change trains before upgrading? The screenshot makes me think no, but I thought I was supposed to change to the 12-train?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-05 FreeNAS - 10 0 0 50.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-05 FreeNAS - 10 0 0 50.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 209

guermantes

Patron
Since I got no response, I installed FN 11.3-U5 on a separate system and went to upgrade, and then I also upgraded my "real" system, so I can now answer my own questions in case someone else is looking for an answer:

1) Upgrading from the UI seemingly deletes all previous boot environments when you boot and look at the console start menu, but there is instead a boot section in the GUI where they are present and you can choose which one to boot back into. I never saw that before.

2) This was a moot point but a somewhat curious one as such. Turns out I had switched previously to the 12-train but not upgraded at that point, so the display of the train went back to showing 11.3-train although I had switched and was ready to upgrade. I bit confusing but no biggie.

Last edited: