11.2 Beta2 - system lock up when deleting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I will if you can tell me how to revert to Beta1 :) I had already deleted that from by boot drive :)
In the future, you might want to keep your old boot environments. I have mine going back to version 9.3.something in 2016. There isn't a lot of reason to delete them unless your boot drive is getting full. If it is getting full, you might want a bigger drive. To roll back to an old boot environment, you need to still have one. Otherwise, you have to reinstall. Do you have a backup of the configuration database from when you were on BETA1?

pjr_atl

Dabbler
I was running low on space just using a 8gig usb drive for boot....

UDO

Dabbler
I am having the exact same problem on an N41 microserver with 5 disks...

going to revert to Beta 1 now
@ pjr, sorry to hear you have this issue. but i'm also glad it's just not me :)
Hope u get another boot env happening. Mind you, if you don't need to delete data, its not a problem, it was only that i happened to in the middle of re-organsing data that i came about this issue. normally i just let it grow.

i did try moving (mv) files, which did not encounter this issue, but i suspect as its on the same filesystem/dataset the inodes remained the same.

Have you or @diskdiddler noted that boot times are super long since 11.x ? (5mins now)

pjr_atl

Dabbler
@ pjr, sorry to hear you have this issue. but i'm also glad it's just not me :)
Hope u get another boot env happening. Mind you, if you don't need to delete data, its not a problem, it was only that i happened to in the middle of re-organsing data that i came about this issue. normally i just let it grow.

i did try moving (mv) files, which did not encounter this issue, but i suspect as its on the same filesystem/dataset the inodes remained the same.

Have you or @diskdiddler noted that boot times are super long since 11.x ? (5mins now)

Udo, I have definitely have seen longer boot time very irritating after the crashes. I have 16GB of ram on this little microserver

and oddly enough I am doing the same as you reorganizing my video library and cleaning up some older versions etc

can you send me a link to your bug report so I can ad my voice to it?

pjr_atl

Dabbler
well my ticket got closed because I exceeded the recommended "80% usage threashold" which has zero to do with the problems sighs....

Let me if they make progress on yours

UDO

Dabbler
@pjr_atl , feel your pain, i was on 82% before my cleanup. however i started migrations on v11.1, then v11.2 b1. which got the pool close to 70%.
..i was then on v11.2-b2. in which i first experienced the del issues.

i dont see how capacity level would impact the issue, but then again there is lots of voodoo magic behind the gift of zfs.

perhaps someone qualified can answer, but i have read someone indicating zfs performance/algorithm changing at 90~100%.

either way, i've read your bug . i can understand the team wanting to isolate as much as they can.. good luck finishing your upgrade.

i'll keep this post updated as we progress. but at this stage its still under investigation by devs.

pjr_atl

Dabbler
Interesting Note moving the files to another device ie copy then delete works just fine the problem appears to be running multiple deletes quickly......

UDO

Dabbler
hi all - update on this issue.
my job has been closed by the devs, and has been recorded as a Duplicate of issue 41910
a few others have been able to report similar issues, and fortunately their submitted info captured something the devs have been able to work with.
from what i can see, a fix is targetted for Beta-3.

since i recored the issue, i was able to roll back boot environments back to Beta 1, and the system has been stable since. (though not as attractive)

im not sure if ill be issued a patch to confirm before hand.
roll on B3.

Status
Not open for further replies.