1 Offline uncorrectable sectors repair

Throdne

Cadet
Hello all,

I have an r510 that is running my FreeNAS server. I have 12 HDDs in a Raidz2. One of my drives is reporting an error (1 Offline uncorrectable sectors) for the last couple of months. What I would like to do is remove the drive from the server connect it to a Linux box, run badblocks and dd if=/dev/zero..., then reinstall and re-silver. My question is since this drive was in the ZFS raid before the wipe will it think the data is intact and start corrupt my data pool or will it always force a resilver, etc?

I was using this port as a guide but mixed with my own knowledge.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-1-currently-unreadable-pending-sectors.9824/

Thanks,
Throdne

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have done just this kind of thing before to test a drive. Usually, they just give more bad sectors. The idea of clearing a bad sector usually doesn't work. Out of over a hundred drives I have had maybe ten that actually cleared and was able to go back in the server. Do a full partition delete and rewrite the entire drive. If it does clear the error, great, put it back in FreeNAS and resilver. No harm done. Just be ready to replace the drive because it is more likely that you will go from one to dozens of bad sectors. I had one that I did this with that had over 8000 bad sectors by the time the test was done.
Anyhow, I suppose it is worth testing. Did I answer the question?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer