RAIDZ2 after disk replacment all disk degraded (need Help!)

MutoSan

Contributor
Hi all

I seldom write or ask for help but this time its maybe a big issue for me. So I had a faulty disk, ONE and out of I dont know why, shut down the system pulled it out and replaced it with a new one. After I put in the new one, starte NAS and replaced the faulty disk. After 8hours I checked and my nas was not accessible anymore over web. So I checked with my i/o port and saw that it crashed. Still can access command line but zpool status shows ALL disks are degraded now. So
I restarted the nas and after about 15mins its in the same status where web isnt accessible anymore. So I thought put in the disk you pulled out where it was and plugin
the extra on a different port, but also the same problem after about 10mins.

So I have no clue now what todo and just hope with help I can save my data as I have no Backup. I use the onboard Raid controller and an extra SATA controller which also might have made the problem accure but thats not what I want to discuss. I really would like that it runs again and my data is back. Have to say that this setup runs now for about 5 years with no problem at all.

My Setup is_
Supermicro X10SLM-F (LGA 1150, Intel C224, mATX)
Kingston ValueRAM ECC-Reg (1 x 16GB, DDR3L-1600 (PC3-12800), DIMM 240 pin)
actual HD setup 8x3TB, right now 8x3TB and one 4TB as it was replacement
8 new 4TB HDs are on the way as I wanted to enlarge my RaidZ2
FreeBSD 12.2 Release P9 amd64

Attachments

• NAS_error.png
    NAS_error.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 149
  • NAS_Zpool_Status.png
    NAS_Zpool_Status.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 127

Etorix

Wizard
Maybe you should have asked earlier and more often because your unbacked-up NAS looks worrisome. "Onboard RAID controller" (in RAID mode?), "extra SATA controller" (what?), checksum errors on the remaining online drives…
Which drive is what? What's the output of smartctl -a /dev/[a]da#?

Last edited:

MutoSan

Contributor
Raid controller is in SATA modus. Why should I have asked earlier and more often? Not everyone has the money to have 2 Nas to backup one to the other. Its not the first time I change a failure disk just this time it seams I was somewhere else and unplugged the failing one before resilvering it with the new one. So maybe you back off with your lecturing as I already said I made a mistake.

output of you command is no matches found. And yes I have a backup of my configuration but not of my data as I use RaidZ2 out of the reason I cant afford another nas.

Etorix

Wizard
Sorry, it's meant to be smartctl -a /dev/ada0, smartctl -a /dev/ada1… or smartctl -a /dev/da0, smartctl -a /dev/da1… for each of the drives, with the appropriate da or ada names and numbers. (Please post the output in CODE tags for readability.)
I thought you had an onboard SAS controller, which could have been an issue if in RAID mode. But the additional SATA card (which model) is possibly an issue, especially if it uses port multipliers

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
glabel status should point you to the list of disk names you need to use

It seems you have at least ada8 as one disk in the system from that last screenshot.

MutoSan

Contributor
Aside from the controller issues... you really need to work that out if you want reliability into the future... you need to look at your disks.

Are they (or some of them) SMR? https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/
Well cant tell you if they have but the new ones are WD Red Plus. The old ones where also labled for NAS Systems. As mentioned the NAS was running fine for 5 years now and I replaced faulty disks before. IF all now are faulty would be a hughe coincident.

MutoSan

Contributor
glabel status should point you to the list of disk names you need to use

It seems you have at least ada8 as one disk in the system from that last screenshot.
As far as I can tell, that does not look good, right?

Attachments

• glabel_status.png
    glabel_status.png
    141 KB · Views: 129

Etorix

Wizard
Signature: "FreeNAS 10" (of all things…)
First post: "FreeBSD 12.2 Release P9 amd64"
Is this really FreeNAS/TrueNAS or a custom installation of FreeBSD with ZFS? I'm afraid it may not matter anyway because this system is completely falling apart.

MutoSan

Contributor
Is this really FreeNAS/TrueNAS or a custom installation of FreeBSD with ZFS? I'm afraid it may not matter anyway because this system is completely falling apart.
Really you challenge me because in my signature still Freenas 10 is written. Which I have not updated in YEARS. I posted pictures where you can see that it is clearly 12.2. And NO its not a custom build out of freebsd and ZFS. I have not the skill to do that.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
ried smartctl again and now it tells me /dev/ada0p2
You don't specify a partition for smartctl... so smartctl -a /dev/ada0 should be enough.

The fact that you're on a RAID controller is probably the blocker there and you may need to specify switches to indicate which kind of RAID controller to work with for smartctl...

You may need to figure it out for your specific controller, but here's an example of how it might look if your adapter is a megaraid:

MutoSan

Contributor
You don't specify a partition for smartctl... so smartctl -a /dev/ada0 should be enough.

The fact that you're on a RAID controller is probably the blocker there and you may need to specify switches to indicate which kind of RAID controller to work with for smartctl...

You may need to figure it out for your specific controller, but here's an example of how it might look if your adapter is a megaraid:
thanks I tried normal smartctl with ada0 and it says no such file or directory. I dont understand why suddently all of them are degraded. I was on the way to replace the faulty one and then make a new install of Truenas on an SSD. I will see what I can find out about the raid adapter later on.

I am even willing to pay someone to take a look or even tries to fix it.

MutoSan

Contributor
@Etorix, you are the reason why I stopped using community boards. Instead of helping you just criticize, judge, lecture and challenge things.

sretalla