SOLVED how about ecc detection/correction/reporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You could setup your router at home to run OpenWrt with OpenVPN or Wireguard, or if that is not an option you could setup a hamachi vpn (or perhaps an open source alternative) network on one of your home systems (could be a VM) that is always on.

Then from your work you could setup a OpenVPN/Wireguard client into you home network. Or setup a hamachi (or alternative) VPN client to join your previously created network.

That should allow you to remote desktop into your home system and use a browser from there to access your IPMI interface.

Perhaps you could even configure the OpenVPN server on your home Truenas and use an open VPN client to become part of your home network. Then you should be able to use a browser at your work system to get into IPMI
All your assumptions are that I have the ability to reconfigure my company's network. I do not. We are a very large company with a lot of road blocks to prevent malicious actions. This includes full control on what applications are on our computers, in fact most people now use a VM of Windoze and have no control at all. I am happy to have access to the forums from work.

diversity

Contributor
then bring your laptop and use tethering on your phone to connect to your home network

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
then bring your laptop and use tethering on your phone to connect to your home network
And that also would have been a fire able offense where I worked. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to bring their personal devices to work with them. Even my work phone was locked down on what sites I could visit.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Could physically connect it but leave the port in a shutdown state (or tagged to a bunk VLAN); or leave out/disable firewall rules allowing traffic in/out for that segment. Much better options than just having it disconnected as the luxury of going TO a datacenter these days are not what they used to be. ....
Yup, use case matters. For me it's a home NAS so the inconvenience of having to reconnect the cable is minimal. Additionally, most of whatever I need to do can be managed from the console. My usual IPMI experience is limited to stuff I cannot do easily from the console or the FreeNAS GUI, such as the odd firmware upgrade or fan speed profile setup. In my use case, the risk associated with having an active IPMI interface vs. the reward suggests disconnecting the IPMI cable. I can see that being very different in a datacenter setup. However, I'd also spend a lot of thought re: securing IPMI and physical access in such a location due to the security implications.

Speaking of security, I've elected to drop the twinax DAC in favor of multi-mode fiber from the switch to the NAS. It increases my NAS' power consumption somewhat but it also electrically isolates the NAS (other than the power cable). Given the other upstream protections, that should make it much more difficult for nasty transients and induced loads from reaching my NAS. Similarly, my edgeswitch running the POE cameras is also only communicating via fiber to the rest of the LAN.

Most folk do not have to consider this, but our house is on a hill and lightning strikes have felled two trees within 100' of it. Lightning rods, massive cables, etc. may prevent damage to the home proper but induced loads during a hit can be incredible. When we rebuilt the foundation, I unfortunately had not yet heard of Ufer foundations or I would have spent the weekends welding up connections instead of just tying rebar. Reinforced concrete makes for a great ground but a good electrical connection has to be there. The incremental cost to install a Ufer foundation once you go reinforced is close to zero.

Last edited:

diversity

Contributor
sweet. All this time it is possible so it seems in FreeBSD. It is very disappointing email notifications on ecc errors is not implemented by default.

I for one consider the thread solved. I'll try and get ecc email reporting to work. I'd hate to have to leave truenas

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I would start with creating a jail, mount /var/log of the TrueNAS system into that, and then set up something like swatchdog to monitor /var/log/messages ...

diversity

Contributor
one last question, why is there no one that dares to answer my question regarding to hypothesize about why it has not been implemented yet?

Why on earth would IXsystems sell systems that don't do ecc email reporting? or do they and then it is no longer political but a commercial reasoning which I could respect if it was told to me bluntly.

It's not that I have not been trying to get an answer:

btw, I will be closing that topic now as well and refer to this one.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
why is there no one that dares to answer my question
Presumptuous questions maybe?

You know this is open source software right? If you want a particular feature submit a feature request or better yet contribute to the code and/or project so it becomes reality.

diversity

Contributor
Ohh yes I have preassumtions about why not, I am asking about why you lot think why not?

After all this is a 100% critical feature that seems to be missing in a product that hammers on the need for ecc, which I agree with, hence my relentless efforts to find out how to assess ecc is working or not. These efforts alone well make up for the fact i am unable (for the time being) to help program this functionalty as a newcommer

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
If you want an official answer from iXSystems, I suggest filing a product feature request and see what answer they send you. While some iXSystems employees do frequent the forums on occasion, they may or maybe not be the right person to ask this. Whereas if you submit a feature request, the message will hopefully be assigned to the right person.

I wouldn’t call this a 100% critical feature either and the cost of implementing it may be high thanks to the great variety of boards running TrueNAS. For a taste of this conundrum, have a look at how long it’s been taking to get the GUI to properly report the temperatures for all HDDs and SSDs in a pool.

Never mind the necessary compliance testing, etc required to ensure that a ECC error is reported as it occurs? Have a look at the issues users here ran into trying to run memtest on their rigs and having memtest fail to inject ECC errors because the motherboard BIOS wouldn’t allow it?

While I agree that robust ECC reporting would be an attractive addition to the other weekly reports a system puts out, I’d wager that the cost to implement it would be high? Speaking of which, time to make my $$$ contribution to the team.

diversity

Contributor
While I agree that robust ECC reporting would be an attractive addition to the other weekly reports a system puts out,
Yes, just implement it so that most systems can benefit.

Sure there will be some edge cases. But if edge case is a put off we would still never have landed on the moon

Dan Tudora

Patron
All your assumptions are that I have the ability to reconfigure my company's network. I do not
why not
if you want put a honeypot/backdoor/TOR software on a computer and in next morning sambody (russian/ucrainian/chinese/koreean) will do access to everything you want:tongue:
after that run from town :tongue:
cherss

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
I have a Dell Poweredge 720 (running) with FreeNAS 11.3 U? and have 1 alert about ECC something on slot somewhere on MB 1/2 years a go
I ignore of course !! (ECC presume to be automatic correct)
I will wait for another alert (to ignore of course)
cherss

diversity

Contributor
Sorry Dan, I am not going to take you seriously for the time being

Dan Tudora

Patron
Sorry Dan, I am not going to take you seriously for the time being
hello
I am very serious (sometime)
I work in industries (and I use google translate). nobody is perfect
I am sorry to not make a screen shot of the alert to see you
BUT was real (in FreeNAS 11.3 what use on that machine)
what to say about that "old guy, old school, old software "
but honest
success

diversity

Contributor
Yes, just implement it so that most systems can benefit.
btw, any system sold by ixsystems should be able to do this. if not then i finally made my point after so many months of hardcore probing into memory slot pins with sharp objects only to demonstrate that it is possible to assess.

ixsystems should only sell setups that can demonstratably show the usefullness of ecc, else not hammer on the need for ecc memorry.

please do not get me wrong, i am not saying ixsystems' gear is not qualified, i want to believe it does, but then at least give us some way of making sure.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
It’s easy to ask for features but robust implementation is harder, even for a limited set of systems. Have you submitted a feature request to iXSystems yet to see if ECC RAM issues can be included in the weekly status updates?

For all I know, they already are and my system simply hasn’t had an ECC issue yet.

diversity

Contributor
For all I know, they already are and my system simply hasn’t had an ECC issue yet.
I know how, after months and destoying a memmory slot, to trigger real ecc errors. so please allow me to be lead in that small regard for the time being

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
btw, any system sold by ixsystems should be able to do this. if not then i finally made my point after so many months of hardcore probing into memory slot pins with sharp objects only to demonstrate that it is possible to assess.

ixsystems should only sell setups that can demonstratably show the usefullness of ecc, else not hammer on the need for ecc memorry.

please do not get me wrong, i am not saying ixsystems' gear is not qualified, i want to believe it does, but then at least give us some way of making sure.
I'm lost, now, I think. Is your focus on iXsystems hardware/.software combos ('setups", "ixsystems' gear"). or FreeNAS/TrueNAS software running on an array of user-chosen/configured/maintained hardware? If it's the former, you're preaching at a small section of this community. If it's the latter, you have difficulty convincing me that what you seem to be seeking is viable as there is, IMHO, good evidence that the ability to recognize ECC-events is very much hardware dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.